Thursday 18 June 2015

Thrive-abetes aims to provide delegates with "information, motivation and inspiration".

Why do I need Thrive-abetes to take place?

by GrĂ¡inne Flynn.

I have realised that I have asked others to write about why they want to attend Thrive-abetes but have not give my own version.


To rectify this here's my sales pitch (let's call a spade a spade:-)

I lived approximately seven years winging it with my type 1 diabetes - I wasn't trying to wing it. I just didn't have a clue what I was doing, or why!

As a result, these days, I crave knowledge about Type 1 Diabetes (T1D)! I know that no matter how much I already know about T1D, there is always more to learn. I also love to hear other people's diabetes stories.

My name is Grainne and my Type 1 Diabetes was diagnosed in 1993. When I stopped winging it with my diabetes management, I managed my Type 1 diabetes with multiple (sometimes up to 6 times) daily injections until 2010 when I started on an insulin pump.

I made that decision by reading other people's' reviews and all the research around how they work and why others were choosing them in large numbers in America. I realised then that one of the best sources of information about T1D management was other people's experiences and reputable websites.

Our healthcare professionals are wonderful but they're so busy taking care of patients day to day that they don't have the time to keep up to date with the latest research. That's why we, the people with type 1 diabetes have to make sure that we find all the information we need and take it to them.

How much information can you imagine would be contained in one room of one hundred people with diabetes at the Thrive-abetes conference?

And there will be a second room with another one hundred people! LOOOOOAAAAAADS!!!

Of course I want to be part of that!

Myself and some of my peeps
from the Clare T1D group.
Thrive-abetes aims to provide delegates with "information, motivation and inspiration" to thrive with type 1 diabetes.

You can register for Thrive-abetes here.


No comments:

Post a Comment